I may use or disclose records or other information about you without your consent or authorization in the following rare circumstances, either by policy, or because legally required:
· Emergency: If you are involved in in a life-threatening emergency and I cannot ask your permission, I will share information if I believe you would have wanted me to do so, or I think it will be helpful to you.
· Child Abuse: If I have reason to suspect that a child is abused or neglected, I am both ethically and by law to report the matter immediately to relevant authorities.
· Adult Abuse: If I have reason to suspect that an elderly or incapacitated adult is abused, neglected or exploited, I am similarly required to report the matter.
· Legal Proceedings: If you are involved in a court preceding and a request is made for information about your counseling and the records thereof, I will not release information unless you provide written authorization or a judge issues a court order.
· Threat to Health or Safety: If you communicate to me a specific and immediate threat to cause serious bodily injury or death and I believe you have the intent and ability to carry out that threat immediately or imminently, I am required to take steps to protect third parties. These precautions may include 1) warning the potential victim(s), or the parent or guardian of the potential victim(s), if under 18, 2) notifying relevant a law enforcement authorities, or 3) seeking your hospitalization. I may also use and disclose medical information about you when necessary to prevent an immediate, serious threat to your own health and safety.
· Records of Minors: Parents, regardless of custody, may generally not be denied access to their child’s records.
Other uses and disclosures of information not covered by this notice or by the laws that apply to me will be made only with your written permission.